E3 week is here everyone, and Nintendo has started the salvo of gaming news and updates with a pre-E3 web conference. This pre-show conference is about the Wii U hardware, and not to be confused with their big conference on Tuesday, which will focus on the games and Nintendo’s upcoming strategy for the next year.
It’s interesting that after the confusion of last year, Nintendo chose to devote 30 minutes solely to the Wii U, detailing what it is, what they see for the system and what makes it unique. You can watch the entire pre-show conference below.
For those with short attention spans, here’s the Cliff Notes version:
- Wii U Game Pad has been updated to include analog sticks instead of circle pads, which looks much more comfortable for gaming.
- Game Pad includes an NFC reader for cards/figures and also can be used as a TV remote
- Game Pad includes motion sensor and gyro sensor
- Works without the Wii U console to play games
- Wii U Pro controller for hardcore gamers — yeah, it looks pretty much like a 360 controller
- Wii U can be used for video calls and social networking
- Miiverse is a place for Miis to gather, kind of like Playstation Home and a version of the Demon’s Souls messaging for all games
So what do you guys think? Has Nintendo won you over with their more focused take on the Wii U? Discuss!