When playing video games, all manner of thoughts usually pop into my head. Some are far too graphic to share here and are off-topic besides, but I’ve decided to post my thoughts in a quick-thought format about a variety of topics. Sometimes things don’t warrant a full post by themselves, but that doesn’t mean we can’t still talk about them right?
1. Unskippable cut-scenes? Seriously? What is this, 1997? I’m looking at you Mortal Kombat. When playing the Story mode, the game saves right after a battle, so if you quit and come back, you start at the beginning of the last cut-scene you saw…and you can’t skip it. Not cool.
2. Dragon Age 2: Once you start playing…it honestly doesn’t feel that different from the first game and I mean that in a good way. The combat is now “action-based”, but if you play it a bit, it still feels pretty much the same. Sure, some things have been simplified, but I’m having a great time collecting and turning in quests. Though the Qunari suddenly having horns is weird…
3. What’s with the hate lately? EA is going all gangsta rap on Activision with comments about wanting Call of Duty to fail, forgetting about the human element and the jobs that would be lost if that were to come true. In a podcast, we spoke about this and TO BE FAIR…the industry is still young, but these are adults that are saying these things. Grow up.
4. Why all the pornographic emblems on Call of Duty: Black Ops? Do you really want to take the time to make a perfectly rendered image of a man’s finger going into a place no one needs to see, only to have some douch like me submit it as offensive? I know it’s an M-rated game, but kids do play it and a kid shooting someone in a game is vastly different from a kid seeing a bit of amateur gynecology.
5. Nick also mentioned this in a podcast, but if you are into PC gaming, now is a great time to boost your PC’s gaming capabilities. Starcraft 2, The Old Republic, Diablo III, The Witcher 2, Dota 2…there is a lot to like and even an avid and console-only player like myself is looking at my decrepit PC with a mixture of longing and disdain.
6. Is this the best Summer of Arcade ever? I don’t have the line-ups from other years handy, but I really feel like Bastion and the rest have made this year the best and most varied ever. I know we had Limbo and Braid in other years, but even with the problems of From Dust, I just think this year is top to bottom better. Nothing more to say than that really.
7. I am with Mitch on Free to Play games. I just have this mental block about them where I think they aren’t high quality or that they are going to nickel and dime me every 3 seconds and if I don’t pay them a lot of money I am going to miss out on everything worthwhile about the game. So…screw that.
8. I really have no idea what a casual gamer is. I know people who only play one game, but they play the living hell out of it, like Farmville or World of Warcraft. Or even Madden or Call of Duty. There are people who have put weeks into those games, far more than I put into any single game, but they aren’t interested in anything else. We as gamers tend to look down on them. I am as guilty of this as anyone else, but should we? Do film buffs care what the masses see at the theater? Actually, they do. Ok, nevermind. Video games have their snobs and low brow morons just like everyone else. Just play what you like and don’t fret so much.
And finally…GamerSushi Weekend AKA PAX South is this weekend. Nick, Mitch and Jeff are the funniest guys I know that I’ve never met and I finally get to change that sentence so it makes sense. Yay for us!