Sony’s E3 2011 Briefing Round-Up
Microsoft’s E3 press conference came and went and it was quite the Kinect fest. With Nintendo making an apperance tomorrow, Sony was primed to steal the show on the first day of E3. Let’s break down their presser and see if they made Microsoft look like a bunch of chumps.
Details are after the jump!
- Jack Tretton took the stage to apologize for the PlayStation network outage and made nice with the fans and distributors while simultaneously hacking down the games press for sensationalizing the story. Jack then brings out a couple of guys from Naughty Dog who show off the cargo ship level of Uncharted 3. The lighting looks amazing and the way the water filled up the hold is nothing short of awe-inspiring.
- Right after Uncharted 3, Resistance 3 made it’s debut by flaunting a bit of their gameplay and the Move control integration. Sony also announced a bunch of 3DTV and Move bundles which feature Resistance 3 as part of the package.
- The God of War and Ico/Shadow of the Colossus 3D/HD collections will be dropping in September.
- 2K Sports brought out Kobe Bryant to demonstrate NBA 2K12 using the Move. Looks like basketball on rails, if you’re into that kind of thing.
- A few back to back trailers for upcoming Sony titles like inFAMOUS 2, Sly Cooper 4 and StarHawk. Hands up who’s excited for Sly Cooper 4? That was definitely the best surprise of the show, even if it was just a trailer.
- CCP, developers of the MMO EVE Online, takes the stage next to premier Dust 514, a first person shooter based in the same universe as EVE, even sharing the same servers. This is a really cool concept and it sort of brings to mind Planetside, which was also a Sony product. Closed Beta is in September with a full release next year.
- BioShock Infinite made a big entrance with a trailer made entirely from in-game assets showing some story and combat related stuff. Irrational Games’ Ken Levine appeared after the trailer to talk about Sony Move controls on BioShock Infinity and to tease an upcoming BioShock related game on the NGP.
- Sony then made a big deal about some exclusive PlayStation 3 stuff on titles like Saint’s Row: The Third, SSX and Battlefield 3, but didn’t actually show any of it (except for BF3, which just gets 2009′s downloadable 1943 on the disc). There’s also going to be a Star Trek game to coincide with the 2012 movie, which I guess Sony accidentally confirmed.
- Kaz “RIIIIDGE RAAAACER” Hirai takes over for Jack Tretton at this point to officially reveal the real name for the NGP: The PlayStation Vita. The rest of the presser is dominated by this machine, with trailers for Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Ruin (a cool cross-platform top-down RPG), ModNation Racers, Little Big Planet Vita and Street Fighter X Tekken. Additionally, Kaz announced that AT&T will be the partner for Vita for Wi-Fi service which was greeting by laughs and boos. The PlayStation Vita will ship at the end of this year and will retail for $249 or $299 USD, depending on the flavor (Wi-Fi or 3G Wi-Fi).
So that was the majority of the Sony press conference: a lot of old stuff and a peek at the NGP. No God of War games, no Last Guardian and nothing from Square Enix. A pretty dry presser this year, but did it beat Microsoft? What did you guys think of the event? Did Sony bring it, or were they pretty “meh”? What did you think of Tretton’s apology?
Tags: playstation vita price, playstation vita release date, resistance 3 gameplay, sly 4 trailer, sony e3 2011, sony e3 2011 presser, uncharted 3 gameplay