Well gents, today is Halloween, which means that we’re back with a brand new edition of Gaming Pop Quiz, this time all about the genre of horror games and all of the frights therein.
If I’m being honest, I haven’t always the biggest fan of horror games, but I can remember some truly terrifying moments in games that I’ve loved. Whether it was the Berserker battle in Gears of War or hearing that Tank music cue in Left 4 Dead, there’s nothing quite like the thrill of a truly scary event that smacks you in the face while you play. And sometimes, the scariest games of all have nothing jumping out at you and announcing how frightening it is, but rather are dark and moody and full of something sinister, such as Myst or Limbo.
Anyway, I’m setting all of this up to give you a few awesome questions, naturally. As always with our getting-to-know-you type games, feel free to answer with as much or as little as you like. Answer to the best of your ability. Go!
1. What’s the scariest game you’ve played?
2. What makes a game scary to you?
3. Do you prefer sudden scares or a slow building of tension?
4. Is being vulverable important to the experience, or can games that empower you also be scary?
5. Horror can also be psychological: what games messed with your head?
6. List some of your most horrific and frightening boss battles.
7. What horror movies should be made into games?
8. There aren’t as many truly scary games made these days. In what ways could the genre improve?