You guys keep asking for it, and because I’m a softy and I like you, we keep bringing it. It’s time for another Would You Rather. What we’ve been doing on the last few outings is focusing in on a specific genre, keying in on features to see what your gaming preferences are. I’ve said it before, but I love the responses that these things get, so I wanted to get a feel for how you guys lean when it comes to stories and plot in the world of video games.
For the uninitiated, in Would You Rather, I simply ask a series of questions, and you follow up with your answers. Give as much or as little explanation as you want for your choices, but we all know that we like to see the reasoning behind the madness.
But beware, lest your answers be blessed with the curse of suck. If they do, large men dressed as either sushi or video games (I haven’t decided yet), will come to your house. And you will not like what they do when they arrive. I haven’t decided on what it is yet, but involves the fireball flower from the Mario games.
For video game plots, would you rather…
1. Have your story delivered via cut-scenes (MGS) or in-world game clues (Portal)?
2. Listen to bad voice acting, or read text for dialogue?
3. See more Nintendo franchises like Legend of Zelda and Super Mario Bros. get a focused story treatment, or do you like them the way that they are?
4. Save the world or save the love interest?
5. See unique branching story options with a weaker overall narrative or a more rigid but overall stronger storyline?
6. Play a story that is short, concise and entertaining or long, sprawling and slower to unfold?
7. Have a franchise stick to its established canon/story no matter what (perhaps even to the detriment of a new game), or do whatever is best for the new game to be a better experience?