It appears as time goes on that Mario and Sonic (especially Sonic) are becoming almost irrelevant. Mario appears mainly in spin-off games, like Mario Kart and even that has lost its luster. Sure, he pops up in a true Mario game once every 3 or 4 years, but aside from New Super Mario Bros., was anyone really excited about any of those games? With that in mind, I thought it time to showcase the new mascots of the new generation. Feel free to disagree and add your own or make your own list.
In this case, a mascot is a system-exclusive character that when you see him or her, you think of that console.
- Master Chief- Is there any doubt? Even I, who thinks Halo is a great game, but vastly overrated would have to give it to the Chief. I mean, for a character to have this type of recognition and only have been around for a few years is mind-boggling. An easy choice for #1.
- Ratchet and Clank- Almost made it to #1, but the sheer power of Master Chief kept me from giving it to these guys. My personal favorite of all the new mascots, this is the one series that seems to improve with every game. I love the humor and even though Ratchet eventually grew on me, Clank has been the real star since the beginning. His deadpan delivery and Insomniac’s great writing has made these two leaps and bounds better than almost all others.
- Snake- Solid? Naked? Liquid? However you like your Snake cooked, one thing is for sure: he is iconic. Even though Raiden tried to steal his thunder, the awesomeness of Snake shone through. The sheer complexity of the Metal Gear Universe is one reason he does not rate higher. I know that after playing the second game, I steered clear of the third, but I am looking forward to a return with the fourth, soon as Gamefly sends the damn thing! Snake? Snake???? SNNNNAAAAAKKKKEEEE!
- Jak and Daxter- Mainly Daxter. Jak doesn’t say anything really and when he does, you wish he had stayed silent. Daxter, on the other hand, is funny as hell, but also kinda annoying. He is lucky he toes the right side of that ever so fine line, but sometimes he does stray. And when he does I seem to lose motor functions and he usually dies a painful death. Odd.
- Sackboy- Now, I know this game isn’t out yet, but my God! This guy is way too cute, way too funny just from his expressions and I am so pumped for this game and its my damn list, so I am putting him on here for sheer potential. I honestly think that he will be as iconic as anyone else on this last within the next 2-3 years. If not, you can blast me then. Until then, Sackboy stays!
Well, that does it for my list. I would like to give an Honorable Mention to the whole gang from the Katamari series, but they don’t have enough consistency to make it on to mine.So what did you think? Agree/disagree? Whats your favorite new mascots?